- Ackery, Ivan. Fifty Years on Theatre Row. North Vancouver: Hancock House Publishers, 1980.
- Anderson, Kay J. Vancouver’s Chinatown: Racial Discourse in Canada, 1875-1980. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 1991
- Armstrong, John E.,Charlie Roots, & Chris Staargaard, eds., Vancouver Geology.
Vancouver: Geological Association of Canada, Cordilleran Section, 1990.
- Aronsen, Lawrence. City of love and revolution: Vancouver in the sixties. Vancouver: New Star Books, 2010.
- Atkin, John. “Strathcona,” in Davis, The Greater Vancouver Book, Surrey, BC: The
Linkman Press, 1997, 86
- Baker, Cartol and Naomi Uranshi. “Japanese,” in Davis,The Greater Vancouver Book,
Surrey, BC: The Linkman Press, 1997, 312-313.
- Barman, Jean. Stanley Park’s Secret: The Forgotten Families of Whoi Whoi, Kanaka Ranch and Brockton Point, Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2005.
The Remarkable Adventures of Portuguese Joe Silvey. Madeira Park, BC: Habour
- Bartholomew, Harland. A Plan for the City of Vancouver, British Columbia Including Point Grey and South Vancouver and a General Plan for the Region, 1929. Vancouver: Wrigley Printing, 1930.
- Berelowitz, Lance. Dream City: Vancouver and the global imagination. Vancouver, Berkeley: Douglas & McIntyre, c.2005.
- Best, Christopher. By jove what a band: the story: Vancouver Kitsilano Boys Band.
Vancouver, B.C.: Warfleet Press, c.2007.
- Bursill, J. Francis, Guide and Handbook to the Museum, Vancouver B.C. [microfilm].
Vancouver: s.n. 1908.
Canada’s diamond jubilee of confederation, Vancouver (BC) Confederation committee.
Vancouver: Confederation Celebration Committee, 1927.
Captivating Vancouver: Canada’s Pacific Port. Canadian Manufacturer’s Association,
- British Columbia Division, Canadian Manufacturers’ Association. Vancouver: Sun Publishing Company, 1924.
- Chadwick, Mike. Vancouver in focus: the city’s built form. Vancouver: Granville Island
- Charles H. Scott Gallery.Vancouver School of Art: the early years, 1925-1939. (n.d.)
- Chatelin, Ray. “Opera,” in Davis, The Greater Vancouver Book, Surrey, BC: The
Linkman Press, 1997, 688-89.
- Clague, J. J. Vancouver, city on the edge: living with a dynamic geological landscape…
Vancouver: Tricouni Press, 2003.
- Cruise, David & Alison Griffiths. Fleecing the Lamb: the inside story of the Vancouver Stock Exchange. Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1987.
- Delgado, James P. Waterfront: the illustrated maritime story of greater Vancouver.
Vancouver: Vancouver Maritime Museum; North Vancouver, BC: Stanton
Atkins & Dosil Publishers, 2005.
- Douglas Coupland, int. The Vancouver Stories: West Coast Fiction from Canada’s best
writers. Vancouver: Raincoast Books, 2005.
- Davis, Chuck, ed. The Greater Vancouver Book, An Urban Encyclopaedia. Surrey, BC:
Linkman Press, 1997.
- Davis, Chuck. The Chuck Davis History of Metropolitan Vancouver. Madeira Park, BC,
Harbour Publishing, 2011.
- Davis, Craig and Thomas A. Hutton. “The Two Economies of British Columbia.” BC
Studies, No. 82, Summer 1989: 3-15.
- Demers, Charles. Vancouver Special. Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2009.
- Douglas, Stan, ed., Vancouver anthology: the institutional politics of art. Vancouver:
- Francis, Daniel. L.D: Mayor Louis Taylor and the Rise of Vancouver, Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2004.
- Fraser, Simon. Simon Fraser, Letters and Journals, 1806-1808, W. Kaye Lamb, ed. Toronto: MacMillan of Canada, 1966.
- Geddes, Gary. Skookum Wawa: Writings of the Canadian Northwest. Toronto: Oxford
University Press, 1975.
- Gutstein, Donald.
Vancouver Ltd. Toronto: James Lorimer & Company, 1975.
“Vancouver,” in Warren Magnusson and Andrew Sancton, eds. City Politics in Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1983, 189-221
- Harcourt, Mike, Ken Cameron and Sean Rossiter. City Making In Paradise: Nine Decisions that Saved Vancouver. Vancouver: Douglas and McIntyre, 2007.
- Hayes, Derek. Historical Atlas of Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley. Vancouver:
Douglas & McIntyre, c.2005.
- Hou, Charles. The HBC Fur Brigade—First Nations Trail of 1848-49. Vancouver: Moody’s Lookout Press, 2009.
- Hull, Raymond and Gordon and Christine Soules. Vancouver’s Past. Vancouver: Gordon Soules Economic and Marketing Research, 1974.
- Johnston, Hugh. “Faith and Politics among Sikh Pioneers in Canada,” International
Journal of Punjab Studies, 9:1 (Jan-June 2002) 91-112.
- Kalman, Harold and John Roaf. Exploring Vancouver: Ten Tours of the City and its
Buildings. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1974.
- Kelly, Brian. “History of Transit,” in Davis’ The Greater Vancouver Book, Surrey, BC:
Linkman Press, 1997, 453-456.
- Kennedy, Warnett. Vancouver: fight for it, or lose it: an insider looks at an attempt to take over the city. Vancouver, BC: Ailsa, c.1982.
- Kloppenborg, Anne et al, ed. Vancouver’s First Century: A City Album 1860-1960.
Vancouver: J. J. Douglas Ltd, 1977.
- Kluckner, Michael.
Vancouver: The Way it Was. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 1984.
Vancouver Remembered. North Vancouver: Whitecap Books, 2006.
- Langford, William. “’Is Sutton Brown God?’ Planning Expertise and the Local State in
Vancouver, 1952-1973.” BC Studies, No. 173, Spring 2012, n.p.
- Lee, Erika. “Hemispheric Orientalism and the 1907 Pacific Coast Race Riots,” Amerasia
journal 33:2 (2007): 19-47.
- Leonoff, Cyril E. “The Rise of Jewish Life and Religion in British Columbia, 1858-1948,”
The Scribe: The Journal of the Jewish Historical Society of British Columbia, vol. XXVIII, Vancouver, 2008.
- Ley, David. “Between Europe and Asia: the case of the missing Sequoias,” Eucumene,
2: 2 (1995): 186-210.
- Liscombe, Rhodri Windsor. The new spirit: modern architecture in Vancouver, 1938-1963. Centre canadien d’architecture/Canadian Centre for Architecture: Douglas & McIntyre, 1997.
- Luxton, Donald, ed. The Early Architects of British Columbia: Building the West.
Vancouver: Talon Books, 2003.
- Luxton, Donald. Vancouver General Hospital: 100 years of care and service. Vancouver,
Vancouver Coastal Health, c2006.
- McCallum, Doug,Alice Niwinski, and John Carter. Vancouver’s Orpheum: The life of a
theatre. Vancouver: Social Planning Department, 1994.
- Macdonald, Bruce. Vancouver: a visual history. Vancouver: Talon Books, 1992.
- Macdonald, Ian. Canadian holy war: a story of clans, tongs, murder and bigotry. Surrey, BC: Heritage House Publications, 2000.
- MacDonald, Norbert. Distant Neighbors: A Comparative History of Seattle & Vancouver. Lincoln and London: University of Nebraska Press, 1987.
- McDonald, Robert A. J. and Jean Barman, eds. Vancouver past: essay in social history. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1986.
- McDonald, Robert A. J. Making Vancouver: 1863-1913. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1996.
- McClement, Donna. Vancouver is a garden, Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1985.
- McKelvie, B. A. Romance of Vancouver, Vancouver: Native Sons of B.C., 1926.
- Matthews, J. S. Early Vancouver, volume two, 1932, Narrative of Pioneers of Vancouver, B.C., Vancouver: Brock Webber Printing Co. Ltd., 1959 reprint
- Mills, G. G. and Warren Sommer. Vancouver Architecture, 1886-1914. Ottawa: Parks
Mechanics Institute: Burrard Inlet. [Minutes, 1868-1884]
- Mitchell, David. “Railways in Greater Vancouver,” in Davis, The Greater Vancouver
Book, Surrey, BC: Linkman Press, 1997, 445-448.
- Monger, J. W. H. ed., Geology and Geological Hazards of the Vancouver Region, Southwestern British Columbia, Geological Survey of Canada Bulletin 481, 1994. Ottawa: Energy, Mines and Resources Canada, 1994.
- Moogk, Peter N. and R. V. Stevenson. Vancouver Defended: history of the men and guns of the Lower Mainland. of defences, 1859-1949. Surrey, BC: Antonson Press, c.1978.
- Moogk, Peter. “Military and Civil Defences, 1859-1948,” in Davis, The Greater Vancouver
Book. Surrey, BC: Linkman Press, 1997, 271-273.
- Morley, Alan. Vancouver, from milltown to metropolis. Vancouver: Mitchell Press, 1961.
- Ng, Wing Chung. The Chinese In Vancouver, 1945-1980: the pursuit of identity and power. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1999.
- Norton, Wayne. Women on Ice: The Early Years of Women’s Hockey in Western Canada. Vancouver: Ronsdale Press, 2009.
- Ogilvie, William. To the land of gold [microfilm]: don’t forget that Vancouver, B.C. the
terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway, is the base of supplies and controls all the routes to the Klondike and British Columbia gold fields. Vancouver?, s.n., 1897.
- Oppenheimer, David. Vancouver: its progress and industries [microfilm]: a record
unparalleled in the history of Canada: some facts concerning the country surrounding and tributary to Vancouver City and the province of British Columbia generally. Vancouver: s.n. [Vancouver News Advertiser] 1898.
- Pass, Forrest D. “Agrarian Commonwealth or Entrepôt of the Orient? Competing
conceptions of Canada and the BC Terms of Union Debate of 1871” in Journal of the Canadian Historical Association, 2006 Review, p. 27-49. Toronto: CHA, 2006.
- Penne, Felix. Ye pageant of Vancouver: a pictorial record of ye summer festival. Vancouver, s.n. 1914.
- Perry, Adele and Tom Fawkes. 100 Anniversary, Vancouver and District Labour Council,
1889-1989. Vancouver: Vancouver and District Labour Council, c. 1989.
- Persky, Stan. The house (convention centre, stadium, rapid transit system, etc.) that Jack built: Mayor Jack Volrich and Vancouver politics. Vancouver: New Star Books, c.1980.
- Petrie, Anne. Vancouver Secrets. Toronto: Key Porter, c. 1983.
- Potter, Greg and Red Robinson. Backstage Vancouver. Madeira Park, BC: Harbour
Publishing Co. Ltd., 2004.
- Richards, Dal and Jim Taylor. One More Time! The Dal Richards Story. Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 2009.
- Rotberg, Howard. Exploring Vancouverism: the political culture of Canada’s lotus land. Brantford, Ont.: Canadian Values Press, c.2008.
- Roy, Patricia. “A Half Century of Writing on Vancouver’s History,” in Vancouver’s Past, Essays in Social History, Vancouver Centennial Issue of BC Studies, Vancouver: UBC Press, 1986, 311-325.
Vancouver: An Illustrated History. Toronto: James Lorimer & Co. and National
Museum of Man, 1980.
White Man’s Province: British Columbia Politicians and Chinese and Japanese
Immigrants, 1858-1914. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1989.
- Roy, Reginald H. The Vancouver Club: the first century, 1889-1989. Vancouver: Vancouver Club, 1989.
- Salloum, Sheryl.
Malcolm Lowry: Vancouver Days. Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, 1987.
The Life and Art of Mildred Valley Thornton. Salt Spring Island: Mother Tongue
- Savinkoff, P. T., R. G. Buchanan. Terrain Elevation for Aggregate Resources, Vancouver to Hope. Victoria, BC: Ministry of Transport, 2000.
- Schofield, Peggy. The Story of Dunbar: Voices of a Vancouver Neighbourhood. Vancouver: Ronsdale Press, 2007.
- Simpson, George. Simpson’s 1828 Journey to the Columbia. London: Hudson’s Bay Record Society, 1947.
- Smedman, Lisa. Vancouver: Stories of a city. A history of Vancouver’ neighbourhoods and the people who built them. Vancouver: The Vancouver Courier, 2008.
- Spaner, David. Dreaming in the Rain: How Vancouver Became Hollywood North by
Northwest. Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2003.
- Starkins, Edward.
Who killed Janet Smith?: the 1924 Vancouver killing that remains Canada’s most
intriguing murder. Toronto: Macmillan of Canada, 1984.
At First Dream: one hundred years of race relations in Vancouver. Vancouver: Race
Relations Ad Hoc Committee, 1986.
- Stevenson, R. Victor. Vancouver’s Bessborough Armoury: a history. Vancouver:
15th Field Artillery Regiment, 2010.
- Sutton-Brown, Gerard W. Downtown Vancouver, 1955-1976: Prepared for City County by the Technical Planning Board. Vancouver, Technical Planning Board, 1961.
- Timms, Philip T., et al. Vancouver: the golden years 1900-1910. Vancouver:
Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association, 1971.
- Twigg, Alan. Vancouver and its writers. Madeira Park, BC: Harbour Publishing, c.1986.
- Vancouver Art Gallery.
Vancouver, Art and Artists, 1931-1983. Vancouver: Vancouver Art Gallery, 1983.
Vancouver Art Treasurers; an exhibition of works of art privately owned… Vancouver, BC, Vancouver Art Gallery, 1950.
- Vancouver: As seen by means of British Columbia Electric Railway Lines. Vancouver, BC: British Columbia Electric Railway Company, 1929.
- Vancouver, B.C. [microfilm]: The Pacific Coast terminus of the CPR, the largest single line of railway in the world, and the only truly transcontinental railway of America, Vancouver: Ross & Ceperley, 1887?
- Vancouver, British Columbia: the coming city of Canada. Vancouver: Vancouver Tourist Association, 1905?.
- Vancouver School of Art: the growth years, 1939-1965: the Charles H. Scott Gallery, Emily Carr College of Art and Design, April 8 through May 3, 1983.
- Vancouver: the twenties and thirties. Vancouver: Social Planning Dept. of the City of
- Vancouver’s urban design: a decade of achievements. Vancouver: City of Vancouver Planning Department, 1999.
- Walker, Elizabeth. Street Names of Vancouver. Vancouver: The Vancouver Historical
- Williams, David Ricardo. Mayor Gerry: The Remarkable Gerald Gratten McGeer. Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 1986.
- Wyman, Max. ed., Vancouver forum 1: old powers, new forces.
- Wynn, Graeme &Timothy Oke. Vancouver and its region. Vancouver: UBC Press, c1992.
- Zelko, Ron. “Making Greenpeace: The Development of Direction Action Environmentalism in British Columbia,” BC Studies, No. 143/143, Summer/Autumn 2004, 197-239.
Source Material: City of Vancouver Archives, Vancouver Public Library
Photographs: City of Vancouver Archives, Vancouver Public Library, Special Collections, Kellan Higgins, Flickr
Editing: Robert A. J. McDonald, John Belshaw
Layout and Design: Ariba Dalal, Quasar Design & Data Management Inc.