Welcome to the website of the
Read Vancouverís history from the beginning to the present like you havenít seen it before by theme and topic through quotes, photographs and a written narrative.
The Story of Vancouver »
Vancouver Historical Society
The Vancouver Historical Society was established in 1936
to stimulate public interest in Vancouver's history, to
encourage historical research and publication, and to promote
the designation and preservation of historic sites. It is
incorporated provincially as a non-profit society, registered
federally as a charity, and is a member of the British Columbia
On the fourth Thursday of the month (except in June, July,
August and December), the society sponsors presentations
by guest speakers on subjects generally relating to the
history of Vancouver. These gatherings take place in the
Museum of Vancouver (formerly Vancouver Museum), located at 1100 Chestnut Street
at 7.30 pm. Enquire at the Museum desk for directions
to the room.
All meetings are FREE and open
to the public and visitors are welcome.
Look at Upcoming Events in the left-hand column for news of future programmes. The
Annual General Meeting and election of officers takes
place at the May meeting.
Membership in the Vancouver Historical Society is open
to all who have an interest in the sharing and preservation
of local history. Click on either of the buttons below or e-mail
us by clicking here.
You can also leave a message on our Information Line and
someone will get back to you.
Join by Mail!
New Membership Fees
Individual Student/Senior (over 60): $30.00
The Vancouver Historical Society:
• organizes/presents a lectures series annually
• publishes and/or sponsors new books
• organizes and leads historical walking tours
• actively celebrates Vancouver's birthday
• directly supports education programs for students
• maintains an inventory of historical researchers
• provides referrals to historical researchers
• awards grants annually for local history projects
Benefits of Membership:
- Vancouver Historical Society Newsletter and calendar
of events, 9 issues per year
- quarterly provincial magazine, British Columbia History,
rich with thought- provoking research, historical photographs
and book reviews
- regular updates on our website
- invitations to regularly scheduled speakers
- historical walking tours (past tours included neighbourhoods
and historical sites)
- an invitation to our Incorporation event in April to
celebrate Vancouver’s birthday
- full voting rights at the Annual General Meeting
- varied volunteer activities
- opportunities to get involved and explore our local
Join by Mail!
| Vice President
| Recording Secretary
||Kellan B. Higgins
| Director (Newsletter)
|| Jim McGraw
||Bruce M. Watson
||Robert A. J. McDonald